Monday, April 8, 2013

Three P's: Priorities

Hopefully everyone enjoyed my last post which was the first of my "Three P's" and if you didn't enjoy it, well... hopefully you'll give me another shot.

So here comes the second "P" in my little list of observations. In case you missed it they are Perspective, Priorities, and Perseverance. I'll mention again my disdain for lists. I even feel silly just talking about the "Three P's." Sounds like a self-help book by some guy that I'd have no reason to trust. Regardless, it just so happens that these thoughts have been in my head for a while and it just so happens that they all begin with the letter "P". Whatever.

Here it goes....

Priorities

I think that in order to maintain or even develop a clear, consistent perspective it is incredibly important that you have your priorities set right. If our priority is our job, our family, our house, our yard, our hobbies... ourselves? our sin? then you better believe that it will have an impact on what "data" we are considering relevant and how to order it in a meaningful relationship. 

If we want to know what our priorities are, all we have to do is look at how we spend our time, how we use our words, what we do when we are alone, what our thoughts are like. Pretend there was a camera crew following us around for a few days and then it was shown to a complete stranger. They will get a very strong impression as to what our priorities are, regardless of what we may profess them to be. For some of us (and by "some of us" I mean myself) this is a scary thought. 

If our priority is Christ, then there should be evidence of it. As followers of Jesus, we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. How can the very presence of God be in me and not be evident in what I do? God is living in us.

Hold on, let me say that again.... God is living in us. 

That has to be one of the most extreme concepts that we as Christians hold. Again, take a second and consider those five words. Are you kidding me? No, I'm not. Neither is He. He's there. Living. In. Us.

When we make Him the priority, we submit ourselves to the Holy Spirit of God that resides within us and we are transformed.

Pretty much everything that I've written here so far is summed up pretty well by Paul in Romans 8:5, "For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit." I'll get back to Romans 8 in a second but let's take a minute and replay the video that our personal film crew has been shooting for the past few days... how much time did I spend with my mind "set on the things of the Spirit?" If we're honest all of us should answer, "not enough." I don't think that's anything to be ashamed about, I think the only man who ever had His mind set on the things of the Spirit 24/7 was Jesus Christ, but I do think it is an important observation to make. The reality is that we will always struggle. Paul addresses this in his Romans 7:15-20 passage, the whole "the things I do do I don't want to not do but things to do I not do for want to not not do for doing etc...." verses (that's a paraphrase, but you know what I'm talking about). Paul gets in to the dual nature of the believer thing which is a whole other post (that I am probably not qualified to even attempt to write, so I probably won't ever go there) but my point is that while there is a reality to that struggle that we won't be free from this side of eternity, we still have to be diligent to set our mind on the things of the Spirit. 

Romans 8 then goes on to make the statement that those who are in the flesh cannot please God (v.8). On the flip side of that, we can see that it is those who are in the Spirit who please Him. It is God's Spirit in us that pleases God. Without Him, we've got nothing. With Him, we've got everything. 

So what? What I'm supposed to do is just yield myself to the Holy Spirit 24/7? Well, ideally, yes. What could be better than that? Why would that sound like a chore or some sort of hassle? One more time: God is living in us. God. Why in the world would we not want to make Him our priority? How could it get any better? Let's look at Romans 8:6 and consider the options: "For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace." Yup, I'll take number two please. 

Let me be very clear that I am not suggesting that if we aren't 24/7 locked in with the Holy Spirit, then we are not true believers, or going to hell, or losing our salvation, or anything like that. I'm simply making the observation that it seems to me that any time we spend with our minds "set on the flesh" and not "set on the Spirit" is time spent wasted. Prioritize. Let's be diligent. Jesus is the center of everything according to Colossians 1:16-17, so let's start living like we know it. 

::::::::::::::::::::::

Wow. When I sat down to write this post I had a completely different idea and direction in my mind. But, this is what came out. What are ya gonna do? It is what it is. Hopefully there is some sense in there somewhere. 

This is completely unrelated to the post but since I've been in Romans 8 for most of the night, I keep seeing these verses and I just can't help but write them here. They are some of the most powerful, beautiful words in Scripture:

"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."  ::  Romans 8:38-39


Amen.

Stick around.
One more P to go.

1 comment:

  1. Well said: Without Him, we've got nothing. With Him, we've got everything.

    ReplyDelete